Search This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012


The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr by Sandra Burr


This book as a historical retelling of events in Tudor England during Henry VIII marriage to wife #6 – Catherine Parr. As far as historical accuracy, I think it is a good way to learn some interesting facts about that time period. Catherine Parr is a devout protestant, highly intelligent woman that draws the unwanted attention of the king. Although she has plans of her own future, no one refuses the king. She by herself is a very interesting figure, she has written books, is known to have reconciled Henry with all of his children and did a great feat by surviving the king, since he all but killed/banished all the other wives he had. She married and outlived 3 husbands to finally marry for love, which is her undoing, unfortunately.

At the beginning of the book there are family trees of the important figures in the book. I was disappointed before I started reading the book that Parr’s and Seymour’s tree is incorrect, however after reading the book in the author’s note it was explained that this was done on purpose as to not divulge the story line. I think that tactic works with people unfamiliar of Henry’s reign but I though that the book will be the same, with a lot of inaccuracy. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not, however since I new all that was told in this book already, from books, documentaries and even HBO series the story dragged. I kept waiting for the fictional characters to have their own affair amidst the court drama but my wish was not granted.

I was excited about the main heroine Juliana St. James, she looked to have great promise for a story of her own. I read the book very fast in order to reach the time where the book becomes more fictional and romantic but alas it does not.

There is a religious element but since I personally am not interested in  religious readings I would not be able to comment on all the scripture quotes. My spiritual education is close to none.

This is an excellent book if history is a passion or of interest. I was under the impression that it is historical romance and that is why I was a little disappointed. The fictional characters do not have a story of their own but rather align with period events. I have to applaud the author for giving Catherine Parr’s child some plausible happy future, because history does not know what happened to Mary Seymour. It is presumed that she died at an early age but there are no documents supporting that, she simply vanished after all of her mother’s fortune was reverted to the crown, everyone wants a queen’s child but not one that does not have any money. Human compassion only goes so far in Tudor England.

I did not feel the happy ending for the fictional characters, although there is one it is very short and unsatisfactory. I feel like Juliana needed a few more pages of undisturbed happiness or an epilogue. She was quite the martyr for Catherine Parr and her child.


Excellent historical book, bad historical romance book.

No comments:

Post a Comment